Re: [ft-devel] libsvgtiny (Re: [ft] Three GSoC projects for FreeType)

From: sylvain . bertrand
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] libsvgtiny (Re: [ft] Three GSoC projects for FreeType)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 15:07:30 +0000

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 12:12:50PM +0000, suzuki toshiya wrote:
> As far as I can remember, libsvgtiny was not discussed in the thread for
> SVG-OT support. I didn't know the exist of libsvgtiny, I must thank you
> for giving the information.

Hi,

This is why I did jump into the thread, to give that information and suggest it
may be worth adding what's needed to libsvgtiny to in order to provide a cairo
based svg renderer for freetype svg font support. I am worried because the only
other open source lib for svg rendering I know of is librsvg which is
"exploding" in SDK configuration and complexity space that due to its port to
rust.

I am not familiar with libsvgtiny, I know it exists because since I am a
"noscript/(x)html basic" supporter for the web, I had a look into netsurf.

That said, I am wondering if the expressive power of freetype internal vector
code could satisfy the requirements of the font svg rendering. Because that
would reduce the external dependency to some xml parser, then some internal
freetype code would "translate" this font svg directly into internal freetype
vector code.

regards,

--
Sylvain