Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC'19] ftinspect questions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC'19] ftinspect questions
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 07:55:14 +0200 (CEST)

>> > is this tool availablle on Windows too ?
>>
>> It should be, more or less – it is Qt code using a `.pro' file
>> (which must be manually adjusted).  However, I haven't tried it,
>> and there may be stuff that works on Unix boxes only.
>>
>> It would be great if you could test it and report problems.
>
> The online QT installer fails to check some file.  The download of
> the offline QT installer fails (and it is more than 3Gb !!)

I don't understand this remark.  Are you talking about using Qt on
Windows in general, or is this comment addressed to a problem with the
`ftinspect' setup?  If it is the former, I'm quite sure that such
issues have already be discussed on Qt forums.

As far as I know, Qt *does* work on a large bunch of Windows versions.
`ftinspect' should even compile fine with the older Qt4 series, too
(at least it compiled fine before the recent changes) – Veeki, please
don't use Qt5 features without proper checking of the used Qt version!
And please ensure that the program runs with Qt4 also.

> so I fear that i can't test it on Windows.

This is unfortunate.  Hopefully, you find a way to eventually install
Qt on your system.

> I would prefer another cross platform toolkit for windows, or even
> using the native Windows widgets

Well, both your suggestions need a huge effort of manpower, which we
don't have.[*] Additionally, given that Qt supports Windows, I don't
see why this would be really necessary.

    Werner

[*] I basically don't oppose to using another cross platform toolkit,
    but as long nobody will do a port it is futile to discuss it.