Re: [ft-devel] Accessing `ft_mem_*' from OT-SVG hooks

From: Moazin Khatri
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Accessing `ft_mem_*' from OT-SVG hooks
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 20:36:10 +0500

FreeType stores the size of its module structures as their second field explicitly for this very reason. This way you won’t need any special hooks.

Alexei, I know about that field and I am using it too. But I don't know how it really helps with getting the memory for the rendering port state structure, which is really of different size and type for each SVG rendering library. Also, my hook functions at the moment, don't have any access to the rendering module. It's only true the other way around. The SVG rendering module knows about the hooks and stores them in a field named `hooks'. The `module_size' field that you're talking about is used while initializing the modules and in my design, at the time of module initialization the module has no hooks. The hooks get injected quite later after `FT_Init_FreeType' has been called.

I am not sure if you've looked at my SVG rendering module. You can find it in `src/svg'. For your convenience however, I'll briefly describe the design.

`SVG_RendererRec' is a module that inherits from `FT_RendererRec'. This was done so that I can add a new field for storing the `hooks'. These hooks are really empty until `FT_Set_Svg_Hooks' is called to set these hooks, that's far after the module has been initialized. `module_init' doesn't do anything interesting. The only interesting function is `render_glyph'. When called for the first time, it calls the `svg_lib_init' hook. Then calls the `svg_lib_render' hook to do the actual rendering. Now, the actual body of these functions may need a persistence state structure that stays alive until the module is destroyed. The question was, how do I create and manage this state structure? Which could be different for each SVG rendering library. I was just creating it globally until Behdad suggested to store it inside `FT_LibraryRec'. The line of thinking after this, is in my email I sent a while ago.

Also I want to mention that, the SVG rendering module remains the same no matter which SVG rendering library you're plugging in. Only the hook pointers change, nothing else. So to switch from `resvg' to `librsvg' you will only change the call to `FT_Set_Svg_Hooks'. I hope this is how it was supposed to done. :D