Re: [ft-devel] Accessing `ft_mem_*' from OT-SVG hooks

From: Moazin Khatri
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Accessing `ft_mem_*' from OT-SVG hooks
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 23:16:04 +0500

Do you plan runtime selection of SVG library? This is not very user
friendly. Perhaps it is better to have separate rendering modules for
each SVG library, selected at compile time. I will take a detailed
look at your code soon.

Well, yes, at the moment it is selected at runtime. Once we decide
on a default rendering library we could create default hooks, so the
end user won't need to set them unless they want to plug a different
library (other than the default one). And with some modifications we
can integrate this with the build system so that the default one can
be switched at compile time.

However, separate rendering modules is a completely different
design choice. From the beginning I have been very confused about
this but I avoided asking too many questions and thought it would
be better to just start working and the community will point out the
problems. All along, I have been under the impression that only
ONE SVG rendering module will exist which will basically act as a
bridge between FreeType and the SVG rendering library.

The problem of user-friendliness can be solved by putting in a
default rendering library. Then the user won't need to do anything
extra. However, are there more potential problems with the current
approach?

I am totally good with doing it with the approach that you mentioned.
Whatever the community agrees on. :)