Re: [ft-devel] GSoC: OT-SVG: Brief Update Week 6

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GSoC: OT-SVG: Brief Update Week 6
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 06:18:20 +0200 (CEST)

>> 2. Adding a default library for OT-SVG. No default has been
>>    decided.  So I'll just try it with all three libraries that I
>>    have been working with. :D
>
> Or, you can just prioritize the separate renderers. Do not waste
> your work.

While the concept of having different renderers sounds nice in theory,
I think it is a hassle to implement, since it moves the burden of
properly supporting various SVG rendering libraries to FreeType.

I still favour the model of having a *single* default renderer for
SVG, providing hooks that can be overridden at run-time for another
library.

With proper options for the configure script there will be a means to
set up a (different) default renderer at build-time, too.

While the latter is more compact (and more elegant), the former will
allow a user to use a system version of FreeType even with a different
SVG renderer.  In particular, this avoids the need of providing a
separate FreeType library incarnation just for a single application.