Re: [ft-devel] GSoC: OT-SVG: Brief Update Week 6

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GSoC: OT-SVG: Brief Update Week 6
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 08:59:12 -0400

> > Or, you can just prioritize the separate renderers. Do not waste
> > your work.
>
> While the concept of having different renderers sounds nice in theory,
> I think it is a hassle to implement, since it moves the burden of
> properly supporting various SVG rendering libraries to FreeType.
>
> I still favour the model of having a *single* default renderer for
> SVG, providing hooks that can be overridden at run-time for another
> library.

Werner, Moazin,

This is not user friendly and users will resist it. How many calls a
user has to make to initialize the library:
1) FT_Init_FreeType
2) FT_Library_SetLcdFilter (how many people forget this already)
3) FT_Property_Set
4) FT_Set_SvgHooks (at least use FT_Property_Set instead)

All I care is that the SVG rendering is properly abstracted as a
renderer module that can be FT_Add/Remove_Module and customized by
FT_Property_Set. Moazin made the right steps already by removing any
special code form FT_Render_Glyph_Internal.

Thank you,
Alexei