Re: GSOC Build tests

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: GSOC Build tests
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 15:31:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Greg,

> So over the week I started writing continuous integration build
> tests for several platforms. You can preview them here:
> https://dev.azure.com/fundies/freetype2/_build/results?buildId=146&view=results

this looks great!

> Please let me know if there are any additional compilers, operating
> systems or configurations you would like tested.

Maybe Android?  I'm not sure whether this is necessary, given that it
is basically a Unix system.

> Also, if you would like any other build system tested other than
> cmake tested.

Actually, the 'official' build system is

  ./configure <options>
  make
  make install

The cmake stuff is contributed code not maintained by the FreeType
team.  We probably will migrate to another build system like Meson in
the near future; you can find some discussion in this thread:

  https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2020-05/msg00103.html

> I would also like to test freetype-demos but I'm not sure if those
> are only valid on desktop configurations.

Yes, it might be problematic to test the demo programs that uses a
GUI.  Maybe (some of) the command line tools will work.

> I did have some issues with Mac/iOS builds as your repo seems to
> have an iOS.cmake that is 6 years old and incompatible with modern
> xcode and I had so set a blank signing key for OS X.  I found a
> newer iOS.cmake to replace your current one and it seems to work
> however it does not currently bundle the binaries in the packaging
> stage.  Please let me know if you have better solution for either of
> these.

Maybe other people can chime in who have more experience with cmake.

> Lastly, I'm not familiar with how to commit to your repo I only get
> "fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported:
> /freetype/freetype2.git" without ever being prompted for a login.

This is an issue that must be fixed.  Have you registered your SSH
public key?

  https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/SshAccess/

(be careful not to add a final, additional newline if you submit the
key).

After doing the above, you should be able to check out read/write
versions of the FreeType git repositories as

  git clone fundies@git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/freetype/freetype2.git
  git clone fundies@git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/freetype/freetype2-demos.git

> So instead here is a patch:
> https://github.com/fundies/freetype2/commit/564f8d163fbed71cccd1a9ea5733e28da82b7d7e.patch

I hope you will be able to check this into your personal branch by
yourself soon :-)