Re: GSOC Build tests

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: GSOC Build tests
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 10:41:02 +0100

> I did have some issues with Mac/iOS builds as your repo seems to
 > have an iOS.cmake that is 6 years old and incompatible with modern
 > xcode and I had so set a blank signing key for OS X.  I found a
 > newer iOS.cmake to replace your current one and it seems to work
 > however it does not currently bundle the binaries in the packaging
> stage. Please let me know if you have better solution for either of
 > these.

 Maybe other people can chime in who have more experience with cmake.

That's the kind of issues you will get all the time with CMake, there are 10 different versions of the tool being used in the wild, which are mostly similar, but it's very hard to get CMake modules from third-party libraries that work well for everyone (especially when cross-compiling with different sysroots, many will pick up the wrong headers / versions of the module's dependencies due to subtle configuration issues)

Also one of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan of CMake, even if it's the "standard".

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for the iOS issue you describe.

I think I was the last person to do major (?) changes to the CMakeLists.txt file, just to build it for freetype-py. I saw the iOS files but did not update them, as I don't have a way to build for iOS. Honestly, is anyone compiling FT for iOS themselves? Maybe the entire support can be cut out to focus on higher value targets?

Regarding X CMake versions, I'd advocate for setting the minimum supported version higher. Like, 3.10 or something. The build system is not officially supported (according to last time I spoke to Werner about it, haven't followed recent conversations), so I think nailing the project to wide compatibility there makes little sense.