Re: [freetype2] Remove #include FT_XXX_H includes from library sources

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [freetype2] Remove #include FT_XXX_H includes from library sources
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 12:12:37 +0200

Le lun. 8 juin 2020 à 13:37, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> a écrit :

Hello David,

> Since nobody does development on DOS or Windows 9x anymore, we can
> finally drop the requirement to use file names limited to the 8.3
> format, which was the reason why the FT_LONG_HEADER_NAME_H macros
> were introduced in the first place.  [...]

Here's my patch, condensing your commits, adding some documentation,
and fixing some glitches.  Please check!

> - The public headers should not be renamed.

What do you think about introducing a bunch of header files with long
names that do something like the following:

  file `FT_Multiple_Masters.h`:

    #include <ftmm.h>
    /* EOF */

If this is about the public headers, why not, but let's do this in a future patch (with some documentation explaining what the new headers are, some simple sed or python scripts so developers can easily change the includes in their sources if they want to).
Also, I would rather have <ftmm.h> include the new public header instead, it's cleaner, but I wonder if this is going to break scripts that try to list the headers explicitly in build systems or packaging scripts.

As for the name, we should keep using <freetype/xxxx.h> format as part of the official source API, because it avoids a lot of needless conflicts to happen.
On the other hand, we can use #include "ftmm.h" (instead of <ftmm.h>) because this first search in the header's current directory.

To be honest, I don't consider that a big priority for now, compared to the other build refactors / cleanups. It's easier not to do anything for now, to avoid breaking things unexpectedly for our users :-)