Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields

From: Anuj Verma
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC - Distance Fields
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 10:02:04 +0530

Hello Alexei,

[sorry for the late very reply, my internet was down yesterday]

> How many times do you have to solve this for each glyph?

A considerable amount of time. If you want the exact number
it is `width * rows * number_of_conic_curves', without any
optimization.

> How many different solutions (aka curve points) do you have to
> find for each curved segment? I figure there are a lot of grid-curve pairs to
> enumerate with most of the curve segment sampled fairly frequently...

This can be as many as 65536, this is tied to the width and rows of
the bitmap being generated. The more the resolution the more curve
points have to be checked.
And yes there are various grid points which correspond to the same
curve point. If the grid point lies on the same perpendicular from the
curve then their curve point might be the same.

> Do you see where I am going?

I'm not sure. Are you telling me to use the results of the previous
iteration?

I have fixed the overflow, it was just my stupid calculation mistake.
I was dividing some values by a really small number (close to 0) which
was the cause of overflow. So, I have fixed all the problems that I can
find for now (apart from aligning the outline properly on the grid).

> As usual you can check it out here ( https://github.com/preversewharf45/freetype2-sdf/tree/FT_Fixed )
> and the demo here ( https://github.com/preversewharf45/freetype2-sdf-demo )

I have updated the repositories and perhaps I can now start integrating it
into freetype?

Anuj