Re: Status of the test framework project

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Status of the test framework project
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:31:54 +0100 (CET)

>> Running continuous integration on Savannah isn't really an option.
>
> The regression server can poll Savannah every 10 minutes.  [...]

Due to our move to freeedesktop.org (hopefully really soon) this
is no longer a problem.

>> However it is not really practical for me to set up servers for
>> your organization.
>
> But a detailed installation instruction would be nice to have.

:-)

>> "Improving the UI" is really vague
>
> It is convenient to have a dashboard [...]

Have you seen my other e-mail, mentioning how LilyPond does it?

>> ... switching out the comparison tool used in the scripts shouldn't
>> be difficult.
>
> Of course it is not, but bmpcmp clips out unchanged part of the
> image and generates several layers for mouse-over action.  So some
> changes are required.

Same LilyPond question as above – please chime in as soon as we have
moved the repository.

> Most likely FreeType already has a collection of fonts for testing,
> but I cannot find any references.

Alas, it has not.  The test font corpus used for fuzzing is not really
suited for testing the rendering, and collecting commercial fonts is
problematic...

> A lot of fonts, including some broken ones, can be extracted from
> PDF files. An extraction tool would be quite handy to have.

This probably exists already, but I'm not aware of such tool.

> Besides raster image comparison, there's Valgrind, Memendo, and
> Coverity that will surely find something to do for developers.

Yes, these might be useful additions.  On the other hand, fuzzing
usually catches memory problems in most cases.