Re: GSoC

From: sarthak bhardwaj
Subject: Re: GSoC
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 06:30:59 +0530

Hello mentors,

Do share your remark over this or can I proceed according to what he have suggested or what, accordingly i will see the things,
and the most ambiguous thing in current is -  whether i have to make proposal for the entire thing, or just for the subproject he suggested me to do so.?

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021, 16:47 Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:
>> [...]  Thanks to the similar GSoC project last year, there should
>> only be incremental improvements necessary and not the need to
>> start from scratch.  As far as I can see, the migration of the CI
>> to the gitlab instance at freedesktop.org is 100 to 200 lines of
>> code, improving the UI is basically a few hundred lines of CSS.
>> This can be done over a weekend.
agreed

> Adding a frontend framework or using bootstrap will definitely take
> some more time
ya, it will but will try to make it as fast as I can, as I have a little bit of experience, let me clear one thing it's not a dynamic frontend framework like react.js or vue.js it's quite simple and is static FEF.

Of course.  Multiple solutions are possible!

>> Basically I don't mind if there are two students who want to split
>> a suggested project into two subprojects.  Note, however, that GSoC
>> doesn't allow real collaboration: The students must write separate
>> proposals that must *not* refer to each other, must code by
>> themselves, etc., etc.  It is a non-trivial task to cleanly define
>> such non-interfering subprojects.
yup

> If i am not getting it wrong you mean to say that we should make
> different different proposals mentioning separate jobs but related
> to the same framework improvement, like we have to divide the tasks
> in such primary level and will give it to our proposal, that means
> that this project can be divided and we have to mention only those
> things in our proposal that is earlier assigned to us to do under
> this project, half-half.

Yes.  However, I don't say you *should* do this.  What I say is that
two students *might* share a project in a 'friendly' way as two
completely separate subprojects, with no official collaboration
between them.

Ok I got your point, so as per the thing we should write the proposal for some separate sub-project from this whole project for the betterment of this framework, as i don't know about his opinion so i don't want to him edit or omit the thing he wanted to do earlier if he will be ok with my idea that the niche of migration of CI tool , improving UI and betterment of comparison tool and other testing parts will be all his area of work,

while as Alexei suggested working on image generation and then improvement of the documetation and adding test case collection and other things which are to be needed should be mine.

If he is  ok with that we can do this type of thing it will be like doing different different subproject under same projects name , and no collaboration to be done like this as you have mentioned earlier.
Is this alright , or should we have to write proposal for the whole project covering each and every aspect individually.

Ps i have not confirmed the thing from his side till now but i think i would be good for both of us, i am also expecting his opinion on the list.
See I have no issue with it, either way, I just want to work, whether it will be on a full project or any subproject from this project itself, I agree that the engagement (so far seen) in other projects are likely to be less and it can be an option.
and if this is the case what you want me to do to separate our working domains will totally be decided after the mentor's remark over this, whatever they will say I am ok with that thing.
Well commenting about the motive of GSoC, it's more about getting students engagement towards the OSS so that the number of contributors can be increased, and can get some experience in OS development on a good level.

Sarthak Bhardwaj