Font-rs GSoC Phase 1 update

From: Anurag Thakur
Subject: Font-rs GSoC Phase 1 update
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 14:41:08 +0000

Hello Werner and other folks,

Here is the status update on the font-rs port for FreeType:

1. Code:

I have pushed the ported font-rs code to the "gsoc-anurag-2022" branch (here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/tree/gsoc-anurag-2022)

The rasterizer is working now (albeit with some artefacts, image attached), but the code is in a very early stage and I'm working on cleaning it.

It took me longer than I had hoped to get it working, but there should be regular updates from now on.

2. Documentation:
I have started work on improving the existing documentation (explanations for functions, macros, algorithms), but I feel my understanding of the smooth rasterizer is still lacking.

I have been reading up on the _algorithm_, but I still have some trouble with understanding the _implementation_ in FreeType.

I would really appreciate it if I could get any pointers or resources regarding that, maybe old mailing list discussions or such.

I hope to have a draft of the documentation improvements by next week.

3. Performance Comparison:
I am working on cleaning up the code and should have numbers to show soon.

TL;DR:
1. Initial Ported code is in the "gsoc-anurag-2022" branch

2. Documentation is under progress (would appreciate help regarding this)

3. Initial Performance comparisons coming soon.

Regards
Anurag