Re: A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: Re: A couple of issues with freetype2-beta6
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:04:06 -0400

David Turner wrote:

> Hummm... we've discussed this point a lot lately, and I added an optional
> component (see <freetype/ftglyph.h>) to do basically what you asked for.

yes, it looks very nice.

> In case you feel that it still doesn't fit your need, could you provide
> me with an example API that corresponds to what you're thinking about ?
>
> We could be discussing the benefits of object ownerships, semantics,
> lazy copy, object orientation, etc.. for hours, but I believe a nice
> example, and probably an UML-like diagram too, would help us
> understand better what you're asking for..

My basic concern is very easily expressed. Think of a container type.
Its semantics is given by modification/access operations. You'd expect
it to be constant as long as you don't modify the content.
However, sometimes you find containers which contain a cursor as well.
This means that all in a sudden, the 'current position' is part of the
container's state. Of course, this changes the semantics of what a container
is dramatically, you can't access the container from different points
simultaneously any more even though the actual data isn't touched.

All I'm asking for is that everything which does not belong to the data
the container is representing be put into external context so it can be
passed into the relevant operations instead of kept cached inside the
container.

Replace 'container' with 'Face' and 'Context' with 'current Glyph',
'current trafo' etc.

Of course there are other models which don't fit into such an object oriented
picture (the openGL pipeline architecture comes to mind). However, it seems that
the requirements expressed here speak in favour of a more OO like model
(caching notably).

Best regards,   Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique