Re: Off-topic -- Is anyone involved in the New Rendering Model project

From: Miles Lane
Subject: Re: Off-topic -- Is anyone involved in the New Rendering Model project at XFree86?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:13:45 -0700

Joerg Pommnitz wrote:

<snip>

> 3.) I'm not aware of a FreeType replacement being developed for XFree86.

The New Rendering Model project at XFree86 is intended as a major
overhaul.  It will support font rotation, alpha blending, antialiased
fonts and so on.  This is why I wondered whether there was any
reasonable way to join the FreeType team's efforts.  It is
apparant to me now that there is not really feasible.

> > I think it's a good thing when the brightest minds in a
> > particular functional area pool their ideas and leverage the environment
> > that gives the broadest user benefit.
>
> Right. "Broadest user benefit" and "XFree86 only" contradicts each other.

Okay.  I was thinking too small.  Sorry.

<snip>

> You really should look beyond the XFree86 horizon to understand
> what FreeType is about. Just now it seems you have no idea what
> you are talking about.

Fair enough.  Thanks for taking time to explain.
I had forgotten that FreeType targetted multiple
OSes.