[ft] help needed for retrieving design metrics

From: Jürgen Herz
Subject: [ft] help needed for retrieving design metrics
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 15:21:24 +0100

Hello,

yesterday I started looking into FT to evaluate its use.

While that I'm trying to extract design values I know from FontForge and
FontLab the Font has.

For example a glyph "A" of a font it shows a box with width 660 while
the serifs to the left and to the right linger over the box, -23 to the
left and -23 to the right.
For an "e" it's different, there the box is 500 width and the glyphs
borders are 40 inside on the left and 44 on the right side.

Now FT_Load_Glyph() width FT_LOAD_NO_SCALE gives the following:

metrics.horiAdvance:  65, metrics.width: 660, metrics.horiBearingX: 706
metrics.horiAdvance: 101, metrics.width: 500, metrics.horiBearingX: 416

Ok, width is right. And width-horiBearingX equals the sum of the above
numbers. But what's horiAdvance in no-scale-terms?. And how to access
the individual numbers for the distances?

Regards,
Jürgen