[ft] Anti-aliasing issues with freetype 2.3.1 (ppc cross-compiled)

From: Roman I Khimov
Subject: [ft] Anti-aliasing issues with freetype 2.3.1 (ppc cross-compiled)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 23:59:10 +0300

Hello all.

I'm working on this issue for several days now and can't find the cause of a
very annoying bug in anti-aliased font rendering, so I'm asking here as I
think there are people on this list who at least know the freetype code. :)

So, the problem is in rendering anti-aliased fonts on embedded board
(PowerPC platform). Freetype is cross-compiled here, I'm using GCC 3.4.3,
but it's a really stable toolchain, known to compile a lot of things
without any issues.

I'm compiling it via RPM, it exports CC/CXX/AS/LD/AR/OBJCOPY and some other
environment variables and issues the following command:

./configure --host=ppc-unknown-linux-gnu --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=pp
c-unknown-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=
/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir
=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var -
-sharedstatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info

Freetype self-configures the following way:

The following settings are used:

  platform                    unix
  compiler                    ppc_82xx-gcc
  configuration directory     ./builds/unix
  configuration rules         ./builds/unix/unix.mk

If this does not correspond to your system or settings please remove the
file
`config.mk' from this directory then read the INSTALL file for help.

Otherwise, simply type `make' again to build the library,
or `make refdoc' to build the API reference (the latter needs python).

Generating modules list in ./objs/ftmodule.h...
* module: truetype  (Windows/Mac font files with extension *.ttf or *.ttc)
* module: type1     (Postscript font files with extension *.pfa or *.pfb)
* module: cff       (OpenType fonts with extension *.otf)
* module: cid       (Postscript CID-keyed fonts, no known extension)
* module: pfr       (PFR/TrueDoc font files with extension *.pfr)
* module: type42    (Type 42 font files with no known extension)
* module: winfnt    (Windows bitmap fonts with extension *.fnt or *.fon)
* module: pcf       (pcf bitmap fonts)
* module: bdf       (bdf bitmap fonts)
* module: sfnt      (helper module for TrueType & OpenType formats)
* module: autofit   (automatic hinting module)
* module: pshinter  (Postscript hinter module)
* module: raster    (monochrome bitmap renderer)
* module: smooth    (anti-aliased bitmap renderer)
* module: smooth    (anti-aliased bitmap renderer for LCDs)
* module: smooth    (anti-aliased bitmap renderer for vertical LCDs)
* module: psaux     (Postscript Type 1 & Type 2 helper module)
* module: psnames   (Postscript & Unicode Glyph name handling)
done.

Then just `make`, everything builds fine, packages in RPM, it's installing
OK, but here comes the problem. ftview on target machine (ft2demos compiled
the same way as freetype itself) renders standard luxirb font like this:

http://roman.khimov.ru/temp/freetype/freetype-antialiasing-on.png

When I turn off anti-aliasing, it looks like this:

http://roman.khimov.ru/temp/freetype/freetype-antialiasing-off.png

Which, to me, is way better, but still I want to see something like this,
taken from ftview running on host machine:

http://roman.khimov.ru/temp/freetype/freetype-antialiasing-host.png

I've tried to enable/disable bytecode interpreter in ftoption.h, as well as
subpixel rendering. The result slightly differs, but it's still ugly.
CFLAGS is "-O2 -g -fsigned-char".

So, the question is - what could be the cause of the problem and how to fix
that? I can easily provide binaries/additional info if anyone interested.

--
                            Roman
 http://roman.khimov.ru                                              .o.