[ft] using freetype

From: Bram Tassyns
Subject: [ft] using freetype
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:10:48 +0100

Hi all,

we are currently investigating if it's possible to use FreeType as our font
engine in a commercial product. We need to be able to parse a font, obtain
general information about it and glyph specific information. I've looked at
the documentation and so far i don't see any issues. However we also need to
subset fonts.

Do you know of any reliable opensource alternatives that allow font
subsetting or extension on FreeType made by other people that allow font
subsetting ?

How stable is the (private) structure of FreeType. Can we implement our own
subset code on top of the parsing code used in FreeType without having to
rewrite it every time we want to upgrade to a more recent version of
FreeType ?

Regards,
Bram