Re: [ft] Cache manager/glyph copy memory leak problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Cache manager/glyph copy memory leak problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:31:32 +0100 (CET)

> Can somebody help me with a memory leak issue that I'm having when I
> use FTC_ImageCache_Lookup() and FT_Glyph_Copy()?
>
> I'm using FT_Glyph caching, which by itself is working fine for me.
> In certain cases I need to perform a transform operation on a glyph,
> so I'm using FT_Glyph_Copy() to get a copy of the glyph to
> transform.  In these cases, I see memory leaks; I have enabled
> FT2_DEBUG_MEMORY and it confirms that I'm leaking memory.

Smells like a FreeType bug...

> Here's the relevant parts of the code: [...]

Can you provide a stand-alone example which I can compile by myself to
debug this further?

> If "transform" is false, no memory problem occurs, but if it is
> true, the code loses some memory. I'm using version 2.3.5, and I've
> tried this on both Linux and Windows. Here's the leak info from the
> memory debugger, from drawing a single transformed glyph:

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I'm quite bad at understanding the cache
manager (this is David's pet toy), so it may take a while until this
gets fixed.

BTW, you might also try valgrind under Linux to get a backtrace some
levels deep.

    Werner