[ft] Using FT embedded in a plotter-like device.

From: Jim Spriggs
Subject: [ft] Using FT embedded in a plotter-like device.
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:59:53 +0100

Hi Guys,

<n00b alert>

The device acts very much like an old-fashioned pen plotter, and I would like to use FT to render text on it. The fonts will either be the usual widely available supects, in which case I'd like to draw just the outlines of the characters, or our own fruit-of-the-loom "stick" (i.e. open contour) fonts, from which I'd be looking to generate single contours at exactly the pen-width (very similar to your typical "plotter-font" characters).

Although I have RTFM and spent quite a few days walking the ft2demos, I have to admit to being such a tyro that I'm just not grokking it yet.

In particular, I'm confused as to which of the Outline Processing or Glyph Stroker APIs (or both) would be useful or appropriate in my case.

If anyone has any experience / advice / clues / anecdotes to share concerning "FT in a plotter environment", I'd by very grateful.

Thanks for listening!
--
jim