Re: [ft] Faster computation of text width?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Faster computation of text width?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 05:48:44 +0100 (CET)

>> Uh, oh, please provide a C snippet, and tell us which font you are
>> using.  I apologize for not being able to work with ASM.
>
> The cited benchmarks was made using "DejaVu Sans" with 16px height
> (19px line spacing)

OK.  This information already excludes a potential issue with CFF
files, cf. https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?43248, which I still have
to investigate in more detail.

> About the C snippets - unfortunately, I can only read C and only if
> it is not so complex.  This way I simply can't provide C code
> snippets at all.  I can write them in Pascal, but writing everything
> from scratch only for a mailing list question is IMHO not very
> efficient.

Believe it or not, it *is* efficient.  In about three of ten cases,
people who try to provide such a snippet discover a bug in their own
code while doing so.  And if you have really found a bug, it is a
great aid to me for debugging and thus very efficient also – only a
failing snippet can *exactly* demonstrate the issue.

    Werner