Re: [ft] default_weights analogue for normal (grayscale) AA

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] default_weights analogue for normal (grayscale) AA
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 09:06:30 +0100 (CET)

Hello Yan,

sorry for the late reply.

> I'm trying to darken/embolden fonts.  [...]  As a result
> LCD-antialiased fonts look just perfect on my monitor:
> https://imgur.com/v8Wa63s
>
> Now I want to darken/embolden fonts that are rendered using the
> normal (grayscale) AA.  How do I do that?  Which const should I
> tweak?

This is not possible in general.  The CFF module supports this and
does it by default; see option 'no-stem-darkening' (for the
FREETYPE_PROPERTIES environment variable) to disable it.  The
auto-hinter supports that too; however, it is an experimental feature
and thus off by default.

For native TrueType hinting, FreeType doesn't offer stem darkening.
You might apply slight horizontal emboldening programmatically by
calling 'FT_Outline_EmboldenXY', though.

    Werner