fsf-community-team

Re: [fsf-community-team] [project seed] San Fransisco adopts a new softw

From: MBR
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] [project seed] San Fransisco adopts a new software policy
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:22:02 -0500

Remember what happened when Eric Kriss and Peter Quinn tried to do that for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts about 5 years ago?  Microsoft representatives visited everyone in the Mass. legislature to spread FUD.  They then arranged for a front-page Boston Globe story that falsely accused Quinn of taking unauthorized out-of-state trips.
Boston Globe Throws Mud at Peter Quinn -- Mud Lands on Boston Globe
Peter Quinn Exonerated
Peter Quinn Resigns
The reason?  Quinn had the audacity to champion the use of open formats so that public documents would not be locked up in a proprietary format.
Another desperate attempt to discredit Massachusetts OpenDocument adoption
I wish San Francisco luck.  They're going to need it!
Mark Rosenthal

Simon Bridge wrote:
By iself, not quite on topic. I imagine this as a starting point for a
major awareness campaign.

RE:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/01/sf-mayor-city-can-save-money-with-open-source-software.ars

"The San Francisco Committee on Information Technology has published a
new software evaluation policy that requires departments of the city
government to consider open source software solutions alongside
proprietary commercial offerings."

---------------

There is clearly a need to educate the city departments. Activists in
the San Fransisco area may take inspiration from the NZ "Public Sector
Remix Project" which resulted from a similar policy change here.

See summation:
http://passthesource.org.nz/2010/01/15/bringing-contestability-back-to-the-public-sector-desktop/

The NZ team has gained experience pitching free software in a
business-aware manner without compromising on principles. Though the
gnu/linux desktops they offered (Ubuntu and SLED) are not all we would
like, we have seen a significant increase in free software adoption in
some NZ government departments at a time when other departments are
experiencing trouble with their non-free "solutions".

Departments are starting to consider a "free software by preference"
policy internally.

Worth thinking about aye?

____

Freeform discussion: irc.gnu.org #fsf