Re: [Fsfe-uk] NHS OSS paper?

From: Mark Preston
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] NHS OSS paper?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:03:47 -0400

Hi all,
Like Phillip says there are quite a few versions.
Go to http://web.archive.org and type

http://www.nhsia.nhs.uk/text/pages/features/i_250202.asp

into the search box.

Regarding the current page where it states:

      "What is the issue of reliability and performance with Open Source?

Open Source code typically comes without ownership, support or maintenance. NHS infrastructure and information systems are critical to the delivery of quality care and therefore guarantees on the reliability and future maintenance of systems are required.

No policy decision has yet been made by the Department of Health or OGC to nominate a designated guardian for Open Source code across the NHS."

This is just spin. I didn't know Microsoft and other closed source companies were now giving guarantees to this effect. Most of the click-through software license agreements I have ever read were more disclaimers than guarantees. At least with an open source program you get the source code. Most end-users never get the source code if the software company goes bust, even if they have source code escrows. What the hell gives the DoH the right to nominate a "guardian" for Open Source code across the NHS? I suppose it's the same as the right for the NHSIA to be the guardian of white papers that discuss "Open Source Software and the NHS"

Regards,
Mark

Philip Hands wrote:

Graham Seaman wrote:

Does anyone have a copy of the original paper mentioned in this register story?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/25/nhsia_vapes_oss_paper/

Should have said, if you were interested enough to try and work
out how that's been edited over the years, there seem to have
been a few versions, although they might well turn out to all
be the same in fact:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.nhsia.nhs.uk/text/pages/features/i_250202.asp