Re: [Fsfe-uk] NHS OSS paper?

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] NHS OSS paper?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:48:16 +0100

Thanks both!

Mark Preston wrote:

Hi all,
Like Phillip says there are quite a few versions.
Go to http://web.archive.org and type

http://www.nhsia.nhs.uk/text/pages/features/i_250202.asp

In fact all the versions seem to be the same - some quick diffing shows the changes are just in the wayback machines internal links (apart from someone adding a webtrends tracker at some point).

into the search box.

Regarding the current page where it states:

      "What is the issue of reliability and performance with Open Source?

Open Source code typically comes without ownership, support or maintenance. NHS infrastructure and information systems are critical to the delivery of quality care and therefore guarantees on the reliability and future maintenance of systems are required.

No policy decision has yet been made by the Department of Health or OGC to nominate a designated guardian for Open Source code across the NHS."

This is just spin. I didn't know Microsoft and other closed source companies were now giving guarantees to this effect. Most of the click-through software license agreements I have ever read were more disclaimers than guarantees. At least with an open source program you get the source code. Most end-users never get the source code if the software company goes bust, even if they have source code escrows. What the hell gives the DoH the right to nominate a "guardian" for Open Source code across the NHS? I suppose it's the same as the right for the NHSIA to be the guardian of white papers that discuss "Open Source Software and the NHS"

Is it just me that's starting to feel that this isn't just a contest between proprietary and open source, that the whole procurement and government policy making process is fundamentally corrupt? How much does accenture get a year from us?

Graham