Re: [Fsfe-uk] groupserver?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] groupserver?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:07:20 +0100

Graham asked:
> http://www.groupserver.org/
> Has anyone used it? I'll probably install it and have a play, just
> wondered whether anyone had any previous experience or comments on it...
> On the one hand it seems to be genuinely free software, on the other
> hand I haven't so far managed to find a developer community, mailing
> list, cvs depository, etc anywhere. I may just be missing something
> obvious?

I've not used it and I'd be interested in your comments.

I think the development process is simply not very open. There
is a group on that site called "GroupServer Team" for developers
which has the comment "GroupSense takes all reasonable steps
to protect the confidentiality of all Messages and Files in
GroupServer Team."  I suspect that replaces the developer
mailing list and that the development work you're looking for
is only visible to members.

On the whole, browsing the site, the end product looks pretty
good and a lot better than any previous egov systems I can
remember. It even comes closer to being great html output,
which probably explains why it looks clear, but there's also
key facts about each group.

http://www.e-democracy.org/uk/ mentions a 6 June presentation.
Do we know anyone attending? I've asked for more info.

--
MJR/slef
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/