[Fsfe-uk] Gowers Report Recommendations

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Gowers Report Recommendations
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 14:13:09 +0000

At first glance, this *could* be very good, especially the EUCD
changes for 'orphan works' and the fence-sitting on punishment
adjustments, but could also be bad with increased numbers of state
copyright enforcers and increased use of the confused "IP" jargon
(then again, UK Patent Office handles Copyright at the moment, which
is confused anyway).

I forward the list posted to fc-uk-discuss by David Berry for the
purposes of news reporting and commentary.  What does this mean?

David Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
> List of recommendations in the Gower Review
>
> Instruments
>
> Balance
>

> Recommendation 1: Amend section 60(5) of the Patents Act 1977
> to clarify the research exception to facilitate experimentation,
> innovation and education.
>
> Recommendation 2: Enable educational provisions to cover distance
> learning and interactive whiteboards by 2008 by amending sections
> 35 and 36 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988 (CDPA).
>
> Recommendation 3: The European Commission should retain the length of
> protection on sound recordings and performers’ rights at 50 years.
>
> Recommendation 4: Policy makers should adopt the principle that the
> term and scope of protection for IP rights should not be altered
> retrospectively.
>
> Coherence
>

> Recommendation 5: UKPO should undertake joint working with African
> patent offices from mid-2007, with the aim of: • helping them
> to take advantage of the flexibilities currently existing in the
> WTO/TRIPS architecture where appropriate; and • encouraging
> them to make positive use of IP rights through dissemination of
> information in patents.
>
> Recommendation 6: Encourage the international community under the
> auspices of the WTO to review the TRIPS status of the least developed
> countries prior to 2016 and consider whether further extension for
> reaching TRIPS compliance would be appropriate.
>
> Recommendation 7: Government should encourage WTO members to ratify
> the amendments to TRIPS to make importation of drugs easier and
> cheaper.
>
> Flexibility
>

> Recommendation 8: Introduce a limited private copying exception by
> 2008 for format shifting for works published after the date that
> the law comes into effect. There should be no accompanying levies
> for consumers.
>
> Recommendation 9: Allow private copying for research to cover all
> forms of content. This relates to the copying, not the distribution,
> of media.
>
> Recommendation 10a: Amend s.42 of the CDPA by 2008 to permit
> libraries to copy the master copy of all classes of work in permanent
> collection for archival purposes and to allow further copies to
> be made from the archived copy to mitigate against subsequent wear
> and tear.
>
> Recommendation 10b: Enable libraries to format shift archival copies
> by 2008 to ensure records do not become obsolete.
>
> Recommendation 11: Propose that Directive 2001/29/EC be amended to
> allow for an exception for creative, transformative or derivative
> works, within the parameters of the Berne Three Step Test.
>
> Recommendation 12: Create an exception to copyright for the purpose
> of caricature, parody or pastiche by 2008.
>
> Recommendation 13: Propose a provision for orphan works to the
> European Commission, amending Directive 2001/29/EC.

> [...]

More details
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/independent_reviews/gowers_review_intellectual_property/gowersreview_index.cfm

Regards,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.
I've ~37 litres of packing chips for free locally - email me.