Re: [Fsfe-uk] Gowers Report Recommendations

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Gowers Report Recommendations
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:41:03 +0000

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 14:13 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> At first glance, this *could* be very good, especially the EUCD
> changes for 'orphan works' and the fence-sitting on punishment
> adjustments, but could also be bad with increased numbers of state
> copyright enforcers and increased use of the confused "IP" jargon
> (then again, UK Patent Office handles Copyright at the moment, which
> is confused anyway).

Aside from the IP thing (which bothers me less than it does most people,
I think) and enforcement aspects - isn't Gowers mostly a good thing?

Having had a couple of days to chew on it, it seems to be pretty
progressive in it's "remember, IP is bargain not a right" position.
There is an awful lot of positive stuff I think we can take away from
it?

Cheers,

Alex.