Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software and the NHS

From: graham
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software and the NHS
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:08:38 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
graham <address@hidden> wrote:

Does anyone have a more optimistic point of view on the public services to kick-start me into revamping open.egov?

Sadly not.  I'm as cynical as it gets.  Off-list, I was told that
http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.gov.uk/ was built on debian (now
upgraded to Ubuntu), Apache, Zope and Plone; and that there's a case
study of Beaumont Hospital's moves towards free software at
http://www.netproject.com/online.html just now.

Hmmm.. a plone-based website is hardly a revolution in the NHS, and the Beaumont study is old...

However, open.egov.org.uk is now up and running again, and hopefully slightly more spam-proof for now. As I mentioned, it hasn't been touched for some time and many links are now broken so any updates would be greatly appreciated. It does need login for editing, but anyone can register (including spam engines - I couldn't find a mediawiki with a login protection mechanism. I prefer the 'what sex is a cow' type of thing to image captcha being short sighted myself. Does anyone know of a suitable mediawiki plugin?)

Thanks for pushing me to sort this out...

Graham

Thanks for the tips,