[Fsfe-uk] Colour and support for colour (was: Content creation)

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Colour and support for colour (was: Content creation)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:57:18 +0000

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 16:40 +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> This is the *single biggest thing by far* that prevents Free Software
> tools being taken seriously for professional design use. I cannot
> overstate its importance. But of course SVG doesn't support CMYK,
> which is insane, so Inkscape can't really support CMYK without
> extending the standard (which is very tempting). Gimp should though.

I would also add that the OpenDocument format doesn't support CMYK in
any form:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200705/msg00000.html

Thomas Zander later suggested the KDE people were looking into it as
part of their raster image format work, but that's really solving an
already-solved problem in many ways.

(As far as I know, Microsoft's OXML format is no better in this regard).

> It's as if graphic designers were trying to write an operating system
> and telling programmers "we're not adding mass storage support because
> you don't need to use disk drives, you can just keep your computers
> always turned on and store stuff in memory".
>
> It is that frustrating.

Absolutely agreed.

Cheers,

Alex.