Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:35:35 +0000

On 08/01/2008, Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 02:23:46PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > I'd like to see the FSF and all its advocates stop their effort at
> > retronaming Linux as GNU+Linux
>
> Retronaming? Are you kidding? Next you'll be saying that Free Software
> is an attempt to retroname the Open Source movement. Revisionists like
> Linus and ESR do real damage to the Free Software movement, we need to
> work hard to undo thier harmful work.

do you genuinely believe that Linus is doing damage? I can't think of
any instances of his damage doing myself, and to be frank the FSF
sponsoring Adobe's Flash format in their  pure Flash GPLFlash/Gnash
GNU project (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/) seems far more worthy
of a damage claim since they are unwilling to aim for anything better
for web-multimedia. Will FSF be sponsoring a GPL_ActiveX GNU project
next? or GNU_Multimedia which can only decode WMV files?

...IMHO we need to keep things in perspective (FS vs Open Source), and
not squabble with people who are 90% thinking the same because they
don't agree with us on 10%.

Jon