Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:18:47 +0000

On 22/01/2008, Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:10:11PM +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > A friend of mine sympathetic to softrware freedom movement but who
> > lately pointedly says "open source" notes that Jefferson campaigned to
> > abolish slavery while owning slaves, and he makes all the software he
> > writes available as free software, but doesn't mind using proprietary
> > software until it can conveniently be discarded.
>
> I think this is misleading. Jefferson, and I am guessing wildly here,
> probably kept the slaves as this was his primary source of income and
> social status. Without those to things his campaign would have been
> futile.

Reminds me of the Libdem policy of using our nuclear arsenal as a
bargaining chip to get the rest of the world retire them too. Retire
50% now, and the other 50% when everyone else does - sounds reasonable
too me.

There has to be some half-way house at some point during change over..
it's when someone doesn't plan for a complete change over and sticks
with the intermediary that there is a problem (like FSF support of
Adobe Flash format!)

Cheers, Jon