Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software book?

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software book?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:54:23 +0000

On Thursday 31 January 2008 09:34:47 address@hidden wrote:
> Quoting Ciaran O'Riordan <address@hidden>:
> >> Cathedral and the Bazaar ?
> >
> > Bleh.  From what I've heard, it's not good.
>
> It's not, no. Raymond starts from a position of ignorance about how
> cathedrals were built and bazaars operated and goes downhill from there.

Heh, there's a recommendation if ever I heard one ;)

Personally, if I were trying to explain Free Software -- even to some computer
professionals who didn't immediately get the ethical implications of software
availability -- then I would probably talk about shared knowledge in science
or something else they'd be more familiar with from an early age.  Once they
got that, you could then draw parallels.

--
Lee Braiden
http://peaceforge.org

"Visions without implementations are hallucinations" -- anon.