Re: [Fsfe-uk] new AFFS? -- was -- Re: Stephen Fry on Asus Eee

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] new AFFS? -- was -- Re: Stephen Fry on Asus Eee
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 08:13:02 +0000

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 07:42 +0000, Tim Dobson wrote:
> > So yes, room still for both an AFFS-type org, and
> > a UK arm for FSF Europe, but who has the time?
>
> For those of us who find Google unhelpful[1],
>
> what does AFFS stand for?
>
> [1] http://www.google.com/search?q=AFFS

The Association for Free Software was the second result:
http://www.affs.org.uk/

If you take a glance at the archive for this list:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fsfe-uk/ [1]
you'll see conversation starting in 2001, leading to the
official start of AFFS at the Sheffield Linux Seminar in
2002.

Maybe someone could put some of the history up at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFFS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_For_Free_Software
I might even get round to it myself one day ;-/

Cheers,

 - Richard

[1] Download mbox file at ftp://lists.gnu.org/fsfe-uk/