fsfwww-translators-es-discuss

[FSF] Supporter item: World Wide Web Consortium takes next step with con

From: Zak Rogoff
Subject: [FSF] Supporter item: World Wide Web Consortium takes next step with controversial DRM proposal, Defective by Design condemns decision
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 14:45:11 -0400

### World Wide Web Consortium takes next step with controversial DRM
proposal, Defective by Design condemns decision

*From May 9th*

The HTML Working Group of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) today
released a First Public Working Draft of the controversial Encrypted
Media Extension (EME) specification, despite massive opposition from
public interest organizations and members of the public. W3C CEO Jeff
Jaffe also released a statement justifying the Working Group's
decision, and we responded: "The situation is actually worse than we
thought, because the W3C now appears to be bizarrely insisting that
Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) is a necessary component of a
free Web. We were under the impression that the standardized Web was
meant to be a structure that mitigated against holders of particular
proprietary technologies bullying Web users and developers, or
extracting royalties from them as preconditions for participation. If
companies want to do such bullying, they can do it on their own time
and their own dime; the W3C should not help them or endorse them."

  *
<http://www.fsf.org/news/world-wide-web-consortium-takes-next-step-with-controversial-drm-proposal-defective-by-design-condemns-decision>