ftba-devel

[Ftba-devel] my design ideas:

From: Thomi Richards
Subject: [Ftba-devel] my design ideas:
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:53:19 +1200

OK, this is just what i think, and is probably WAAAYY off the mark, but
here goes: (dont think im stupid because this doesn't make sense:-):

My preffered interface is CGI/html, because it is
1.- easy to program (compared to my limited experience with tkinter),
2.- it is universal (all OS's can use it, all browsers)
3.- it can be run remotely, so more than one person can have access to
the accounting at once (this could be a bad thing though, depending on
who the other person is)

i agree that there should be different backends, to different databases.
this raises a question though:

how will the main programmand the backends communicate?? surely you dont
want to have to type in a query string for each different database
language, you want something universal, which the different backend
modules convert to their own database language. (or you could use the
mysql syntax, and then ppl who write, say postgre backends would have to
convert it)

how will people set up the initial databases?? i STRONMGLY advise
against sayng "go set up your mysql database now, with the accounts you
want", and leaving the user to do it. (i have seen some packages which
do this). you could package up a `mysqldump accounts > accounts.mdb`
file, where accounts is an empty accounts database, for mysql. then when
the package is installed, the installer runs `cat accounts.mdb | mysql
accounts` (the installer would, of course have to create the db forst).
thats fine with one database, but what happens if/when we're supporting
hundreds of database types?? things would start to get silly.

eeneevay... i would like to work on the MySQLdb backend (if there is
one), ive used this module alot recently, so i know it pretty well.. id
also like to do a bit of CGI coding, as im getting quite good at that
aswell :-)

any way, just my $0.02 worth

good night all *yawn*

--