g-wrap-dev

Re: Latest changes in G-Wrap

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Latest changes in G-Wrap
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 18:50:08 +0200

Hey folks,

(We do have a mailing list; why not use it?)

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 18:19 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> >> * Why remove `AC_PREREQ' from `configure.ac'?  Such things can help make
> >>   software more perennial IMO. (This is from `g-wrap--dev--0--patch-25'
> >>   it seems.)
> >>
> > I didn't do this on purpose - this must have been accidential.
>
> Ok, so maybe we should revery this one.

No, there's no reason to have it require 2.60; also that version is not
in any version of ubuntu, which makes it impossible for me to hack on
g-wrap. Also, the version of autoconf is already checked for in
autogen.sh.

See my attached bundle for this fix, and some other build fixes.

> >> * Why add the awful `module-use!' statement at the end of /g-wrap.scm?
> >>   When were they needed?  1.9.6 did not have this, right?  So how can
> >>   someone have come to rely on this?
> >>
> > I split out some generics into `(g-wrap c-codegen)' and `(g-wrap
> > scm-codegen)' which previously resided in (g-wrap); perhaps this
> > should be reverted so one can do away with the `module-use!' and not
> > break guile-gnome.
>
> Well...  On one hand, I understand that all this can be very painful for
> `guile-gnome'.  OTOH, this logical separation makes sense and probably
> helps understand G-Wrap as one discovers it.

It probably makes sense, yes; but quite a bit of pain for me. It means
you won't be able to build older guile-gnome with newer g-wrap. (When do
I get a stable version?)

> there are (AFAIK) only a handful
> of users of G-Wrap 1.9 at this point.  So maybe it'd be reasonable to
> propagate such a change in 2.0.

I'd be OK with this, if there's sufficient warning :)

I'm attaching three bundles.

The first one has some build fixes that you might already have, to allow
older autoconf and out-of-tree libffi.

The second one has a warning fix for some char* code generation; it's
adequately commented.

The third is more invasive. It removes the need for generics to be
placed in the root module, for guile, while preserving compatibility.

Any chance these could get in your repo? (You can get them all by
merging my bzr branch at http://wingolog.org/bzr/g-wrap/wingo :-)

Regards,

Andy.
--