gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune: Further Evidence on Old Problem

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune: Further Evidence on Old Problem
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 19:15:58 +0200

Hi Richard,

On 06/02/15 21:37, Richard Stonehouse wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

Way back, I reported a problem playing MP3 files in Cynthiune. The
problem was that, shortly after the music starts, there is a kind of
high-pitched twittering noise that mostly blocks out the music. At the
time it was non-reproducible on your set-up, but I now have further
information in case it is still of interest.

On Sat, Mar 08, 2014 at 02:07:29PM +0100, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
Hi Richard,

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 16:52 CET, Richard Stonehouse
<address@hidden> wrote:

>I do use(d) Cynthiune to play MP3 files quite a bit. Does it happen
>with all MP3 files or only with a certain file?

It happens with all the MP3 files I've tried - both ones I've
generated using lame and ones I've downloaded.

Having listened to a few more, it seems that the 'twittering' noise is
actually a delayed echo of the original sound, grossly distorted.

By the way, I should have mentioned that au, wav and ogg work fine.

I've tried playing MP3's again, but I don't seem to be able
to reproduce this noise you hear.

Sebastian

I've now found that the problem seems to depend on the machine
architecture. On an old 32-bit machine, it does not occur. On a newer
64-bit machine, it still does occur. Tests on both architectures used
Cynthiune built from the same source (latest SVN) and same RPM spec
file. au, wav, ogg and flac versions of the same test file work on both
architectures.

The test file (attached) plays OK in madplay.

For me on OpenBSD, trying to play any MP3 segfaulted Cynthiune, on
amd64 and on i386.
I exchanged a memcpy with a memmove, and that segfaulting now was gone
on both platforms.
Afterward, playing that test file, sounds exactly the same for me on
both. It's in SVN now.

Do you can check, whether that might have fixed the noise problem for you too?
svn co svn://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/gap/trunk/user-apps/Cynthiune

Otherwise, what audio output backend do you use? I use OpenBSD specific
sndiod. If you still get that noise problem, do you can try another
audio backend?

While there I fixed two other minor compilation warnings also in SVN.

Sebastian

Also attached are the /proc/cpuinfo from both machines.