gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Steering Committee nominations

From: Robert Dewar
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Steering Committee nominations
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:56:25 -0500

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
IMVHO, we should try to exclude active GDB maintainers from the
committee.  Given the fallout from the incident(s) that led to these
discussions, I think the committee's membership should be as remote
as possible from any doubts regarding their objectivity; including
people some of whom were involved in the kind of personal conflicts
that led to this would go against that, IMHO.

I see where you are coming from, but I think that the steering
committee does need to have some people paying close attention to the
direction that the gdb source code is taking.  I think it would be
hard to do that with no regular gdb maintainers at all.

I agree. I think gdb maintainers should be allowed on the GDB steering
committee.

I admit that I don't know how to reconcile the two positions.

I would say that an obvious way to reconcile the two positions is
to have some members but nowhere near all, be active GDB maintainers.
That dynamic should work fine and satisfy both constraints.