Re: [Getfem-users] Basic capabilities

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Basic capabilities
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 17:09:09 +0200

On Monday 19 May 2008 15:55, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Perhaps I missed it from the documentation, but I could not find
> whether Getfem already has the following capabilities, which are of
> particular interest to me:
>
> 1- Recovery of state variables (by SPR or any other recovery
> technique), for any kind of elements, or perhaps only for particular
> kinds.
For the moment this kind of strategy has not been tested.

> 2- Plasticity materials:
> a- Small strain isotropic hardening J2
> b- Finite strain isotropic hardening J2

there is an exemple of small strain isotropic perfect plasticity in
tests/plasticity.cc

> 3- Fully functional handling of finite deformations for quadratic
> simplices (1D, 2D and 3D)

Finite deformation is working (for any element) : see
tests/nonlinear_elastostatic.cc

> 4- Handling of (nearly) incompressible materials (as, e.g., for
> isochoric plasticity) for quadratic simplices (1D, 2D and 3D), by the
> Bbar method of Hughes (e.g.).

The incompressibility is taken into account in tests/nonlinear_elastostatic.cc
with a mixed method.

> In addition, does Getfem have:
>
> 5- Facilities for multiphysics.

Well, Getfem is a finite element library, so you have to do a lot of things by
yourself. If you understand well the brick system you can build multiphysic
problem very fast but this means writing some new bricks ... or at least new
assembly procedures.

> 6- Implicit solution of the generalized transport equation (which has,
> in particular, non-symmetric stiffness).

not special tools hve been developped to solve the transport equation.

Yves.

--

  Yves Renard (address@hidden)       tel : (33) 04.72.43.87.08
  Pole de Mathematiques, INSA de Lyon          fax : (33) 04.72.43.85.29

---------