Re: [Getfem-users] boundary problem with elastostatic

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] boundary problem with elastostatic
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:29:58 +0100

Dear Radames,

The condition you need to prescribe

sigma_ij * n_j = n_j = p1 * n_i on S_N1

Is a very standard Neumann condition for elasticity (in fact for arbitrary
model of a continous media with a vector displacement)

Of course, here the data p1 which is the prescribed stress on the boundary
S_N1 is a vector valued field on that boundary. If you know explicitely p1, so
the additional term in the weak formulation of the problem is simply

\int_S p1.v

where v is the test function and p1.v the scalar product. In that case, you
can simply use the standard source term brick.

If you have a problem computing p1 because it comes from a tensor field
multiplied by the unit normal to the boundary, then you can use the "normal
source term brick".

If p1 has only a pressure component (no shear stress) then, you can use the
"normal source term brick" with a diagonal tensor field.

Is that answer to your problem ?

Yves.

--

  Yves Renard (address@hidden)       tel : (33) 04.72.43.87.08
  Pole de Mathematiques, INSA-Lyon             fax : (33) 04.72.43.85.29

---------