Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:04:29 -0400

   Either we believe in free software, or we don't.  Either we get the
   HURD finished, or we lose.

   The situation is very near to being that simple. The HURD (or its
   monolithic alternative) must be completed.

Linux is free software, just like the Hurd, or kFreeBSD.  Quite a
drastic thing to say that we have lost when we are winning; although slowly.

But more important battles are upon us, most notably encumbered
devices, software patents (oh may there be a year when they don't crop
up), or right now UEFI that will stop you from running any free
kernel, or boot loader unless it has been signed by your king.

I know where I'll do my battles, and it isn't with the Hurd; I have a
free operating system running today... But Tomorrow I might not have a
computer that allows me to install it.  Where will you do your battle?