Re: [glob2-devel] Update: Core Rewrite

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Update: Core Rewrite
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:43:21 +1200

In light of my recent work, I've pulled from the master, and k776 somehow convinced me (against me will) to push back to the master with my changes. The game isn't totally broken. Don't try YOG though. Right now it connects to localhost, so if your not running a glob2 -daemon as root, it will simply crash when it fails to connect.

To be fair,  I said it was easier for me to get it and for others to see your progress if you pushed. That decision was yours in the end. And it was good one IMO. The code compiles fine, and after a bug or two was fixed, making new maps and playing them works with no problems. Infact, I generated a random island map and played for 1 hour testing all flags, buildings, features, stats, graphics, and areas without any glitches. The only thing I didn't test was 'V' and 'Enter' for talk and chat.

Granted, most of YOG doesn't work, Lan doesn't load, all maps and campaigns need redoing (when Bradley gives the ok that the format wont change again, I'll be happy to recreate them, only once though, so if something changes, then its up to him ;) ), saving edited maps works but loading doesn't, saving played games works, but loading doesn't, and something about a CPU bar being commented out :S But these thing dont majorly affect game play. Someone can still download and play which in view means that HG is NOT broken.

If you do, you will find that you can login (and without a password), and it will take you to irc. The menus don't quite work, and the features don't work perioud, but this is all being developed.

Good. I didn't really feel the need for username passwords (and some players dont want to register, so loggin in annonymously would be great), but these could defiantly come back when encryption is installed :D

I'm making it top priority that single player fully works with the new headers

Good news! Other than loading saves games, and the cpu bar thing you mentioned, single player works fine. There may be some deep issues somewhere, but I didn't find them. I'd recommend making YOG and Lan your priority :D

and that I get the Alpha 23 patch made so that the new maps can be created quickly.

By patch you mean to open old maps and save in the new format? That would defiantly help :D

The in-game works, but be forwarned, there is likely to be bugs (none that I could find though) here and there. And the whole system is subject to change, I still have allot of reogranization work I have planned (and of coarse, getting YOG to the point that it can be used)

Ingame works great. As mentioned above, try to get map editor loading, YOG, Lan and the CPu bar (which, actually, I noticed no difference ;) It worked so I don't know what you mean when you commented it out) working again then it will be as good as new :D

I've got quite a few comments about the game though, but I'll leave them until you've finished everything. Most of them are quick features I believe, nothing major.

Overall, a job well done Bradley.

--
Kieran.P
http://qlwiki.linuxsolutions.co.nz/