glob2-ideas

Re: [Glob2-ideas] non-flat terrain

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [Glob2-ideas] non-flat terrain
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:27:56 +0200

> Now we have a problem:
> Because we don't have 3 point pathfinding, a worker will see that
> resource down the slope and think, "fine I'll can fetch that quickly".
> Once he did that, he has to run up the slope to the building again
> take more time and food than an optimal route would have taken.
> Then the building asks him to get the next resource and the next ...

In fact I was thinking to use the food cost as pathfinding deltas, which of
course would require 16bits tiles in pathfinding, but that might still be ok.

> Oh, you want each field to have a height.
> That would be really nice indeed.

Yes, with some limitations of course. I think that if we choose that way, we
can easily implement http://cp.magnenat.net/%7Enct/glob1.8.test.png, in
particular because the 2D code is already there and the GL accelerated code
is mostly trivial. The example I show also manage shading which increase the
feeling of 3D. Furthermore, it is "camera aligned" that is you can
superimpose sprites in the 3D and it would work fine.

Have a nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net