Re: [Gnash-dev] effective streaming

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] effective streaming
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:00:37 -0600

strk wrote:

>       - invoke the standalone gnash with the full
>         url and let it rock.

  This should be an optional behavior I think, as there are times when
running standalone it'd be nice to invoke the player with a URL.

>       - send the stream to the player trough
>         some IPC

  Gtk_plug() and KDE "parts" enables this, or we can make our own pipe.

> The second one would be easy if we allow gnash to
> read the stream from stdin (see task #5838)

  Which I think is the way to go, and I don't think that hard to
implement. Rather than opening a file to get a file descriptor, we'd
just read from file descriptor 0. (stdin)

> sending variables (both POST and GET methods), use the
> cookies jar, use the stored http authentication tokens,
> use the stored SSL certificates. All of this would be
> transparently supported by the plugin interface, so easiest
> way would be using a more complex IPC mechanism to provide
> network requests and responses (including streams).

  As Gnash support XML, I'd think we can create a simple XML command
spec, and use that to communicate between the browser and the player.
I've done several XML based messaging systems, this isn't very difficult
at all.