Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: ActionScript errors

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: ActionScript errors
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:57:59 -0700

Martin Guy wrote:
>> I see "printing" such warnings as a feature, I'm sure many flash coders
>> would agree on this.

  I like printing the warnings too. Gnash should still attempt to keep
going regardless, but letting users know there are bugs in their code is
always a good thing.

> I was going to say "Well, in GUI land, such things will not be seen
> anyway, like all the rest of the X error messages you find on the
> linux console whan you quit X."

  One of these days we'll add support for debugging Flash movies, and at
that point users might want to have a graphical warning message pop up.

>  But with the frame buffer interface, any stdout/err output could be
> visible. I suggest complete radio silence unless specifically enabled,

  Since the warnings aren't printed unless running Gnash with "-v", I
don't think there is a problem. Also, all the warnings should get
written to the log file (if enabled), where you can see them later
regardless of whether they were displayed on the screen.

  With framebuffer based devices, I think it's highly likely they'll be
only running one Flash movie all the time, so you wouldn't be getting
any warnings.