Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 21:50:42 +0200

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 11:33:47AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> Now that streaming video for a few popular sites works, we need to
> establish what will be in the next release of Gnash. Ideally we can push
> the next release out within the next month or so.
>
> My short list for the release is:
>
> 1. Stabilize the video support so it works with Lulu.tv, youtube.com,
> and myspace.

I've stubbed some wiki pages for helping with this:

http://gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/Gnash#Flash_Movies_We_Want_To_Run

Please click on LuluTV and YouTube and add info there about
what model are being used and what does Gnash misses.

> 2. Fix the problem with the loader threads not going away when using the
> plugin, which creates zombies.

Do we have any bug items for this ?

> 3. Finish fixing the XML and XMLSocket classes.

We need testcases for this. I think XML is pretty good atm
while XMLSocket needs to be tested with a server smarter
then a simple netcat dumping a file to the socket.

> 4. Fix any nasty memory leaks.

Leaks are intrinsic in the model until we implement the GC.
I might give it a try but I'm afraid it would destabilize
the code a lot. Of course we can fix leaks outside of the
VM if we find them.

> 5. Fix some of the performance problems with certain movies, like
> paperwars.swf which eats up all the memory when it shouldn't be.
> 6. Update documentation for new features.
> 7. Get video working with AGG, fix invalidate regions bug with video.
> 8. Finish internationalization support.

I haven't looked at this, but would it mean translating all the
ACTIONSCRIPT ERROR and MALFORMED SWF warnings ?
I'm asking because those warnings change and augment very often.

--strk;