Re: [Gnash-dev] sprite_instance::restart() and properties

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] sprite_instance::restart() and properties
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:13:42 +0200

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 01:22:00PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hello strk,
>
> Thursday, April 19, 2007, 12:06:02 PM, you wrote:
> s> Ehm.. how we discussed on the mailing list, the problem
> s> is that ::restart is not properly documented.
>
> Who has enough knowledge about the function to do it?
>
> I *think* it should restore the state of the character in which it was
> after creation (or after it has been placed on a display list).

Does this mean also calling onLoad and onConstruct events ?
What about frame init actions ?

> This
> would make sense for the button instance which holds a list of
> character instances. These character instances are kept permanently in
> memory, even if the character is not visible on stage (for example,
> becomes visible on mouseover). Upon mouseover the character becomes
> part of the stage and is restart()ed to act as if it were just
> created.

Why not really recreating it ?
Do we need to retain syntetized instance names ?

> This is how the button instance seems to work. However, this is just
> my assumption and I can't document that function before someone else
> confirms it.

I can describe what the function does, but I'm not sure it makes sense,
we're not reverse engeneering Gnash itself :)

> s> If it is only for the GUI we're likely not sufficiently cleaning up.
> s> If it's for the buttons, we're cleaning too much.
>
> What do you mean with "for the GUI" ??

I used ::restart for the GUI menu item MovieControl->Restart.
Might be a completely wrong thing to do and we might instead
remove the top-level movie and recreate from scratch instead.