Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Building extensions

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Building extensions
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:24:34 +0200

Hello Rob,

>> "Do you think that a command-line switch to allow the use of specified
>> extensions is enough?"

RS>   No. I'd rather we have an actually thought out security plan instead.
RS> We could add an option like that for now, but it's be a temporary fix
RS> when we should really focus on the correct solution, whatever that is.

I'd like to *remind* that the MM player pops up a confirmation dialog
when accessing the webcam, for example. This *could* be a solution for
the FileIO problem too.

Anyway, I see some important things:

- extensions should be enabled at compile time explicitly (they will
  probably be used only for special cases)

- the user should know in some way when a security relevant extension
  is being used by a movie (I would not want that my browser allows
  full file system access to any movie I see on a web page)

- in certain cases, extensions should be allowed explicitly and
  without bothering the user (important for embedded designs)

Udo