Re: [Gnash-dev] BBC iPlayer

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] BBC iPlayer
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 14:10:59 -0700

Dave Crossland wrote:

> If the problem is just setting up a server with Red5 on it, I can help

  Red5 is merely the server side of the connection. We use Cygnal for
the same thing. The problem is the client side of our RTMP
implementation hasn't been merged into Gnash's streaming yet.

  Before doing that though, I'm currently deep in refactoring libamf.
Over the last week or so, I've implemented working support for both
SharedObjects and LocalConnection, both of which use AMF for objects.
RTMP is merely the network protocol, and you need to be able to encode
and decode AMF objects to do that. This refactoring will take a few more
days, and then I'm going to cleanup our RTMP support.

> Either way, unlocking rtmp will mean we can build iplayer on xbmc,
> mobile phones and other exotic devices. I was thinking about using a
> Nabatzag as a internet connected radio the other day.

  Um, RTMP is already unlocked, and Gnash even has a working library
that supports RTMP and AMF for both client side and server side of the
RTMP connection. Cygnal is to support the server side of RTMP, much like
the media server. If anyone is interested in helping with our AMF & RTMP
support, I'd love to have some help. I already did the hard part. :-) I
see no reason why other applications than Gnash couldn't also use libamf
for RTMP support.

  I'm trying to get as much detailed info on these formats onto our wiki
while it's all fresh in my head. I believe already there is more detail
on AMF and RTMP than you'll find on osflash, including annotated hex dumps.